In the 1990s, Fuji and the Edinburgh tourist board set up phototrails of all the picturesque shots in Edinburgh. They produced a leaflet in 1993 guiding tourists round the most photogenic points in the city.
Nowadays, the trail is forgotten, but still exists as brass plaques embedded in the pavement.
In March 2010 a visit to Central Library led us to find the leaflet and to the creation of an online map to show the routes. This allowed us to make them available to all. Two days of photowalks were organised later that year. The Blue Trail walk round the old town in May was on a beautiful bright day but the Red Trail in July has to have been the most rainy photowalk of that year. (Remember Flickr…)
Here are the routes revived for a lockdown walking project.
[osm_map_v3 map_center=”autolat,autolon” zoom=”autozoom” width=”100%” height=”450″ file_list=”https://edinburghlofi.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/EdinburghFujiPhotoTrailRed.gpx,https://edinburghlofi.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/EdinburghFujiPhotoTrailBlue.gpx,https://edinburghlofi.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/EdinburghFujiPhotoTrailGreen.gpx” file_color_list=”red,blue,green” control=”fullscreen,scaleline” file_title=”Red Edinburgh Fuji Photo Trail ,Blue Fuji Photo Trail, Green Fuji Photo Trail”]
Click a map point for more information.
These trails are from the 1993 booklet “The Fuji Phototrail of Edinburgh”:
The New Town Trail (Red)
- The North Bridge from outside the Edinburgh and Scotland Information Centre
- The view from Calton Hill
- George Street, Frederick Street intersection looking North.
- The East End of Princes Street and the New Town from the Mound steps.
- Edinburgh Castle from St Cuthberts Churchyard.
- Charlotte Square.
- Moray Place.
- Dean Village and the Water of Leith.
- Dean Village from the waterside.
- St Mary’s Cathedral from Grosvenor Crescent
The Old Town Trail (Blue)
- The view of the Castle from outside the Edinburgh and Scotland Information Centre.
- Views from the North Bridge.
- Lady Stair’s Close.
- Ramsey Garden from Ramsey Lane.
- Views from the Castle Esplanade.
- Edinburgh Castle from the Grassmarket.
- Victoria Street.
- View looking down the Royal Mile from St Giles.
- Advocates Close.
- White Horse Close.
- The Palace of Holyroodhouse with Arthur’s Seat
Out of Town (Green)
- South Queensferry
- Swanston Village
- Blackford Hill
- Cramond Village